Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Does God exist?


Once during the sermon a man asked Buddha, "Does God exist?"
Buddha said, "No, absolutely no."
In the afternoon sermon another man asked Buddha , "Does God exist?"
Buddha replied, "Yes, absolutely yes."
In the evening again a third man asked the same question to Buddha, "Does God exist?"
This time Buddha closed his eyes and remained utterly silent. The man also closed his eyes. Something transpired in that silence. After a few minutes the man touched Buddha's feet, bowed down, paid his respects and said, "Thank You! You are the first man who has answered my question."
Buddha's disciple, Ananda, was very much puzzled over Buddha’s different responses to the same question. Ananda wanted to know the truth.  So, at night when Buddha was going to sleep, Ananda said, "I have heard all the three answers given by you and I am thoroughly confused. I can’t go to sleep unless I get my answer from you."
Buddha said, "It was not your question, so the answers were not for you. The first man who asked about God was a theist and he believed in God, the second man was an atheist who did not believe in God, but the third man was an agnostic without any belief system. My answers had nothing to do with God but had something to do with the questioner.”
Buddha clarified further, "The first person only believed but had never experienced God, otherwise he would not have asked me. Hence I said ‘no’ his belief. The second person did not believe in God, but was trying to find my confirmation for his belief. Hence I did not endorse his belief and said ‘yes’ for the presence of God.”
Buddha further said, “...And the person with whom I remained silent was the right inquirer. He had no belief, so nothing to destroy, hence I kept silent. That was my message to him, ‘Be silent and know’. He got the answer through my silence, and he immediately followed, became silent, closed his eyes and looked within. Something transpired and he experienced the truth....!”
Moral of the Story ....
Friends, most of the times intellectual answers may not help in life, only existential answers can provide the real experience.
Generally, the tendency of our mind is to choose the belief and to forget about the experience. That’s how we keep on missing many opportunities, even if the God knocks at our door. In fact, our belief system is a poison to our capacity to understand. Belief is always theoretical but trust is existential. Therefore, all the beliefs become barriers to knowing the truth.
Friends, only in an empty mind, when there is no dust accumulated on the mirror, the truth reflects and that reflection is a true benediction.
Have a Happy Day Friends !

No comments:

Post a Comment